One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Oilseed rape of a variety developed in Canada and grown in North America, which yields a valuable culinary oil.
- ‘Topaz is a variety of canola exhibiting a high frequency of embryogenesis in isolated microspore cultures.’
- ‘Trials are planned for a new variety of canola that may have a bright future in the Mid West.’
- ‘The Swiss company, Bayer, had an application approved to grow genetically modified canola earlier this year.’
- ‘Vos has been experimenting with different seeding rates per acre for field peas as well as trying out different varieties of canola.’
- ‘An extra 200,000 hectares of canola could be grown under conservation farming practices.’
1970s: from Canada + -ola (based on Latin oleum ‘oil’).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.