One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be unable to stop looking at someone or something because they are so interesting, attractive, etc.‘I'm telling you, I couldn't take my eyes off him’
- ‘People can't take their eyes off them.’
- ‘It's like… like I can't take my eyes off the thing.’
- ‘Carlos has incredible charisma onstage; you can't take your eyes off him.’
- ‘The batsman cannot take his eyes off the slow stride to the crease, the spectator holds his breath.’
- ‘You cannot bear to look at the bird, and yet you cannot take your eyes off it.’
- ‘The best review I ever got read, "You can't take your eyes off the screen."’
- ‘You really can't take your eyes off him for a second.’
- ‘Believe me, whenever there is action they are not talking so much that you can't take your eyes off the subtitles.’
- ‘To be honest, I can't take my eyes off of you.’
- ‘Nestling comfortably in their little cardboard cellophane-wrapped homes, they're like an accident you can't take your eyes off.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.