One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be unable to stop looking at someone or something because they are so interesting, attractive, etc.‘I'm telling you, I couldn't take my eyes off him’
- ‘Carlos has incredible charisma onstage; you can't take your eyes off him.’
- ‘Believe me, whenever there is action they are not talking so much that you can't take your eyes off the subtitles.’
- ‘Nestling comfortably in their little cardboard cellophane-wrapped homes, they're like an accident you can't take your eyes off.’
- ‘The best review I ever got read, "You can't take your eyes off the screen."’
- ‘To be honest, I can't take my eyes off of you.’
- ‘You really can't take your eyes off him for a second.’
- ‘People can't take their eyes off them.’
- ‘The batsman cannot take his eyes off the slow stride to the crease, the spectator holds his breath.’
- ‘It's like… like I can't take my eyes off the thing.’
- ‘You cannot bear to look at the bird, and yet you cannot take your eyes off it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.