One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An artilleryman who positioned and fired a cannon.
- ‘He fought in the war as a British sailor and cannoneer for six years before he was seriously wounded during an engagement with a Dutch vessel.’
- ‘It was later in the Peninsular Campaign that taps were first played at a military funeral after an artillery cannoneer was killed in action.’
- ‘The divergence in success between the two black artillery battalions at Bastogne, nevertheless, does not detract from the stellar performance of the cannoneers.’
- ‘The cannoneers of Lille recognized her as their saint in 1417, describing themselves as the ‘Confrères de Sainte Barbe’.’
- ‘The allied army began preparations for the offensive, supported by the accurate bombardment of the British by the French cannoneers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.