One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A factory where food is canned.
- ‘He ran a hotel and resort that was once ‘the best and best-known vacation spot for coloured folk on the East Coast’; that was back in the 1940s, before the place was ruined by the stench of the canneries and the onset of integration.’
- ‘Foreign-born women staffed canneries, textile mills, and garment factories and worked as cooks and child-care providers for middle-class Americans.’
- ‘Built on the location of an old cannery, this new port is strategically located across from the entrance to Glacier Bay National Park.’
- ‘Instead, Pago Pago currently hosts the StarKist and ‘Chicken of the Sea’ tuna canneries, making it the most important commercial fishing port under the American flag.’
- ‘The Asian immigrant laborers were lured by the false promise of gold and wealth, only to sweat, work and die for pennies in the fields, mines, fish canneries, and railroads.’
- ‘Over the years, there were seven lobster canneries on the Island, and during the lobster season people, mostly women from P.E.I., would come to work in them.’
- ‘Kumtor drew the line, however, at a request to build a cannery and fruit-drying facility so villagers could send their products to Siberia.’
- ‘This was a good yield, but the cannery was only paying me $102 per ton.’
- ‘She worked for years in the berry fields of Oregon as well as in local canneries and frozen food processing plants.’
- ‘The company instead had contracted with a cannery in Peru, where asparagus is grown year-round, an acre yields three times as many spears and workers earn a tenth of what Rivera makes.’
- ‘The cannery is the last on the island, once a world fishery center with 16 canneries that processed tuna, salmon, herring and other fish.’
- ‘Instead of selling your catch to a middle man, you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery.’
- ‘Aside from all that writing, she has been a scaler in a salmon cannery, a reporter, photographer and darkroom manager for daily newspapers, a late show disk jockey and a communications consultant.’
- ‘Cultivars of chilli Anaheim, C. annuum, was developed in California c. 1900 for the new cannery at Anaheim.’
- ‘In addition to gold mining and oil drilling, major industries include coffee, copra, cocoa, cattle, oil palm, timber and wood-chip mills, and tuna canneries.’
- ‘He spends four or five days a week in the main cannery in Samutsakorn, southwest of Bangkok, with occasional visits to a smaller plant in Petchaburi.’
- ‘In other islands, where tourist resorts, a cannery, the airport, and other small industries are located, employees are provided with temporary accommodations.’
- ‘It's coming to the end, the factories and canneries slowly sink into the grit.’
- ‘He set up a cannery in Glencolumbcille with the parish priest Fr McDyer and got the local people growing vegetables.’
- ‘The cannery brought in herring from other countries, but capelin had become the major industrial species.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.