One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A mammal of the dog family ("Canidae" ).
- ‘Unlike most large canids, wild dogs do not announce their presence by howling, but with a scent message that can last for months.’
- ‘In canids such as wolves or wild dogs, usually only the dominant, or alpha, male and female in a pack reproduce, but younger group members hunt with the mother and return to the den to regurgitate predigested meat into the mouths of her pups.’
- ‘During this period all hypercarnivorous forms disappeared from the fossil record, including hypercarnivorous canids and mustelids, in addition to feliforms.’
- ‘Adult turtles have relatively few natural predators, although sharks and saltwater crocodiles are known to consume adults, and nesting females are preyed upon by coyotes and other canids.’
- ‘Red foxes, like many other canids, have tail glands.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Canidae (plural), from Latin canis ‘dog’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.