One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The owner of a cane plantation.‘he sold small plots of land to cane cockies’
- ‘She rode up on the riding points that some cane-cocky had carelessly left on the blind side of a curve.’
- ‘Bush poet Billy Brown put the frustrations felt by cane cockies on paper.’
- ‘He's the biggest cane cocky in the district.’
- ‘It was in the far north of Australia where the cane cockies work the earth.’
- ‘What to do with a drunken Cane Cocky?’
Late 19th century: from cane + cocky.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.