One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An apple coated with a thin layer of cooked sugar or caramel and fixed on a stick; a toffee apple.
- ‘He took out a candy apple and gave it to Zaria.’
- ‘The vocals smack of sweetness and light while the guitars as are as crunchy as a candy apple.’
- ‘We can sit and eat candy apples all day long and maybe we can even play ‘tag’ like old times.’
- ‘It's so good, just like the candy apples at the fair, except with caramel.’
- ‘Nothing is worse than pulling a hamstring before you get to old Mrs. Daniel's candy apples.’
- ‘Architects known as Blobmeisters create buildings that look like enormous lopsided candy apples (for instance, the Experience Music Project in Seattle).’
- 1.1mass noun A bright red colour.
- ‘She was so glad that they were in that position, otherwise he would've seen her candy apple red face and would've had a hint of what she had unconsciously said.’
- ‘The perfect day begins: hopping into your candy apple red convertible Mustang GT - top down of course - you begin the gorgeous drive to the perfect beach as warm air whips your hair into a frenzy.’
- ‘She was the girl that had to carry Buckeye's saddle to the stall yesterday, unless there was another strawberry blonde girl with candy apple red fingernails working for me.’
- ‘I was searching, fruitlessly, for a VW bus that didn't smell like pot or conk out on the test drive, when I happened upon an incredible, candy-apple red Karmann Ghia.’
- ‘She picked up the toothpick between two long, candy-apple red nails, and bought it to her equally red lips, then parted them slowly, passing the olive into her mouth, closing her lips around the olive and the toothpick.’
- ‘Design chief Trevor Creed assures us that ‘if’ the Nitro reaches production, the production model will be just like the concept - except for the five coats of hand-rubbed candy apple red metallic paint.’
- ‘It's a candy apple red thermos, a Starbucks product bought last year during an after Christmas sale.’
- ‘Yesterday we received delivery of our new van, a spiffy little candy apple red number by Honda.’
- ‘I remembered the day when mom and dad bought him a brand new car for his graduation - a candy-apple red convertible that I remembered hearing them planning to buy.’
- ‘Next I bought a candy-apple red, 1968 GT - 500 with a 428 Cobra Jet engine.’
- ‘Her whole demeanor had changed as soon as she had driven off her in her candy apple red BMW convertible.’
- ‘There was Haran, in a brand new, candy-apple red Corvett.’
- ‘From the outside, it looked like the 1992 candy apple red, special edition Ferrarri GT2 + 2 it was.’
- ‘He yelled as he jogged gingerly toward his candy apple red Mirage.’
- ‘It was sleek, low to the ground, and a bright candy apple red.’
- ‘Pippen's candy-apple red Nikes were so ugly even usually mild-mannered David Robinson winced and asked, ‘When are you going to take those things off?’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.