One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A volunteer, typically a young woman, who assists staff in a hospital.
carer, caregiver, attendantView synonyms
- ‘He spotted a candy-striper coming out of one of the rooms, holding a stack of towels in one arm and trying to balance them while she reached behind her to close the door.’
- ‘And it's a job a motivated candy-striper could handle.’
- ‘I barely acknowledged smiles from orderlies, candy-stripers and nurses that recognized me.’
- ‘He went in the same direction as the candy-striper and found her waiting for him around a turn in the hall.’
- ‘I'm a candy striper at a hospital once a week.’
1950s: with reference to the striped uniforms traditionally worn by such volunteers (see candy-striped).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.