One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A thick, soft cotton fabric with a raised, tufted pattern.as modifier ‘a candlewick dressing gown’
- ‘The roomy double bedroom suites were originally plainly decorated, their walls covered with sea grass, the beds under light-colored candlewick counterpanes, and pale Wilton wall-to-wall carpeting.’
- ‘After years of climbing under worn candlewick bedspreads with the words ‘breakfast will be at quarter to seven’ ringing in our ears, we were bowled over by the cosy and almost chichi surroundings of Seaview.’
- ‘The evening will feature a large display of crafts, candlewick embroidery, chicken scratch embroidery, rag dolls and much more.’
- ‘Bed & Breakfast has thrown off its traditional candlewick bedspread image and moved upscale.’
- ‘A single tear ran down his face and onto the candlewick bedspread.’
- ‘He falls asleep while praying on his knees and wakes up with his mouth full of candlewick bedspread.’
- ‘When you think of seaside hotels, moth-eaten candlewick bedspreads and ferocious landladies usually come to mind.’
- ‘The bed had a mustard coloured candlewick bedspread’
- 1.1 The yarn used to make candlewick.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.