One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A support or holder for one or more candles, typically one that is tall and thin.
- ‘Two more candles on silver-gilt candlesticks stand at each end of the coffin.’
- ‘Decorate your outdoor space with unusual iron sculpture, tall candlesticks or a variety of potted plants.’
- ‘The candlesticks were made from teak and mahogany generating a two-tone effect and looked very impressive.’
- ‘Instead of boring old scented candles and candlesticks, why not get a friend a candle that actually says something about them?’
- ‘A feeling of quality about the place was enhanced by the starched white tablecloths and napkins, and silver candlesticks.’
- ‘On the table were three candlesticks, the one in the middle being the tallest, and the flames were bright orange.’
- ‘His interior pieces on display include medieval banquet tables, slender candlesticks and chandeliers, and mirrors.’
- ‘It offers a wide variety of Christmas decorations, small gifts such as frames for photographs and figurines, silver candlesticks, candles and non-kitsch trinkets.’
- ‘She had two tall, shapely brass candlesticks that sat side by side on a small table in her entryway.’
- ‘Following the recent tragic accident, a beautiful set of candlesticks were donated to the local church by her friends in remembrance of Helen.’
- ‘This figurine was designed as a candlestick, with the holder protruding from the base on either side.’
- ‘Down the centre were tall black candlesticks with yellow, lit stumps of wax in.’
- ‘Even a candle in a copper candlestick was present.’
- ‘My own tastes run toward dark colors, simple oak antiques, comfortable chairs, brass candlesticks, and interesting but quirky ornaments.’
- ‘Tables are laid with fresh flowers and silver candlesticks with fish motifs.’
- ‘Other items stolen from the Holy Trinity Anglican Church included candlesticks, vases, antique tables, a communion vessel and a chalice.’
- ‘Everything was gold and marble: the tables, chairs, candles, candlesticks, and even the outside of the mantel.’
- ‘The stolen candlesticks, which are about 8in tall and are painted to look like bronze, were taken from a mantelpiece in the museum's Hearth Gallery, which shows historic fireplaces.’
- ‘Communion chalices can cost between £500 and £10,000, with candlesticks worth in excess of £500.’
- ‘I certainly didn't want to spend my time polishing candlesticks and candelabra.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.