One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An evergreen tree of the spurge family, with large seeds that yield an oil used for lighting and other purposes, native to SE Asia and the South Pacific islands.Also called candleberry
- ‘In a food processor, purée the lemongrass, garlic, turmeric, galangal, ginger, candlenuts, onion, chilies, and blachan.’
- ‘They are recommended as a substitute in Indonesian recipes for candlenuts, which are more difficult to obtain in the West.’
- ‘In Timor-Leste today, candlenut is starting to become a good source of income for many people.’
- ‘Like practically everything else that grows in Hawai`i, the candlenut was imported here.’
- ‘The classic Peranakan dish of chicken cooked with tar-black stuffed candlenuts is unbelievably delicious.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.