Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Lit by a candle or candles.‘a romantic candlelit dinner’
- ‘Designed for couples only, it offers eight restaurants and even a candlelit dinner for two.’
- ‘He lit two tall candle sticks close to the flowers for a candlelit dinner.’
- ‘Vermeer's paintings come to life in the dappled light of wintry landscapes and the dusty darkness of candlelit interiors.’
- ‘On our last evening in Maui, Daniel had prepared a very romantic, candlelit dinner on the shore.’
- ‘Instead of our usual candlelit dinner we were throwing a party for us and our friends.’
- ‘A romantic, candlelit dinner for two is the perfect way to celebrate Valentine's Day.’
- ‘It's a grocery item, not the sort of thing waiters bring to candlelit dinner tables with a side of olive oil.’
- ‘Take her out for a candlelit dinner in a fancy restaurant.’
- ‘Linger over a four-course dinner in a candlelit dining room overlooking the walled garden.’
- ‘Oh how I would love to be able to take her on a romantic walk in the park, or for a candlelit dinner.’
- ‘Stepping through the revolving door and across the black and white tiles to our candlelit table in a discreet little alcove, I felt I could have been in Paris.’
- ‘A man and a woman laugh, watching each other's faces over a candlelit dinner.’
- ‘Mom says she likes the idea of having a candlelit dinner with her family.’
- ‘From a candlelit dinner for two to a trip to the local pantomime there is something for everyone.’
- ‘Instead, they joined friends for a lovely candlelit dinner and an evening of laughter.’
- ‘She had prepared a candlelit dinner and uncorked a bottle of imported champagne.’
- ‘She revealed he had proposed to her on Christmas day over a candlelit dinner whilst they were on a holiday in Madagascar.’
- ‘It will be difficult to tear yourself away from your suite, but a candlelit dinner at the Dasheene Restaurant is not to be missed.’
- ‘Visibly tired, the Pontiff retired early to rest and did not take part in the candlelit procession marking the first day of the visitations.’
- ‘The group will be staging a symbolic candlelit vigil in support of all victims of human rights abuse worldwide.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.