Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A holder or support for a candle.
- ‘The candleholders that decked the walls were of a high quality of gold.’
- ‘Once inside, Dan began lighting the candles in the big candleholders.’
- ‘Their production of utilitarian household items such as candleholders is considered an art form.’
- ‘You can substitute for them with glass or candles and candleholders.’
- ‘During the row that followed he threw the candleholder, hitting Miss Moore on the head.’
- ‘I don't use candles very much except during rituals, but when I do I have a number of small blue glass candleholders for them.’
- ‘Clear-glass candleholders, vases and potpourri bowls scattered throughout add a reflective sparkle to the room.’
- ‘These candleholders are made with clear beveled glass.’
- ‘Good cups to use are the small votive candleholders easily found where candles are purchased.’
- ‘On the table, the candleholder lies empty: the three candles must have melted into nothingness some time ago.’
- ‘To add some real warmth to your living room, place candleholders or candles either on the coffee table, or hang candleholders on your living room wall.’
- ‘Combine tapers of a uniform color with totally different kinds of candleholders or alternate the style of the holders, one black, and one white.’
- ‘I m always very careful with them and am conscious of putting the candles into proper candleholders but, even being careful, twice in the last month, I've had episodes with candles that could have been extremely serious.’
- ‘Though home redecorating can be costly, there are places that make it easy to find the right candleholders, picture frames, plants, and plant holders for your rooms.’
- ‘Silver candleholders were placed neatly around the room to provide light in the evening hours.’
- ‘If you wish to reuse a candleholder after the current candles has melted completely, put the container in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.’
- ‘The designer has recently completed a diverse range of accessories including lamps, mirrors, candleholders and wine racks.’
- ‘A shelf held a rush burner of coarse iron, next to a candleholder of finely wrought bronze, and another of horn trimmed in sliver.’
- ‘To mark the occasion the Portlaoise Guides and Brownies made a presentation of two new candleholders and candles to SS Peters and Paul's Parish Church.’
- ‘After about a meter into the room a flight of stairs marched upwards, lit every so often by elaborate and rustic candleholders with red, thin candles.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.