Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small edible marine fish with oily flesh, occurring on the west coast of North America.Also called eulachon
- ‘Gulls wheeled and screamed over the first slug of spawning candlefish.’
- ‘He'll then switch his lures to match the size of the candlefish, usually about 2 to 3 inches long.’
- ‘In this case, many point their fingers at the shrimp trawler that operates off the coast, a trawler that doesn't want to stop fishing when the candlefish pass through.’
- ‘Dr. Hubbard stated ‘While recovering sediment cores at night we attracted an enormous school of baitfish, likely candlefish, with our ship's deck lights.’’
- ‘Both herring and candlefish can be imitated with Marabous or weighted or unweighted Clouser Minnows.’
So named because the Chinook Indians formerly burnt the oily bodies of these fish as candles.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.