One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small edible marine fish with oily flesh, occurring on the west coast of North America.Also called eulachon
- ‘Gulls wheeled and screamed over the first slug of spawning candlefish.’
- ‘He'll then switch his lures to match the size of the candlefish, usually about 2 to 3 inches long.’
- ‘Dr. Hubbard stated ‘While recovering sediment cores at night we attracted an enormous school of baitfish, likely candlefish, with our ship's deck lights.’’
- ‘Both herring and candlefish can be imitated with Marabous or weighted or unweighted Clouser Minnows.’
- ‘In this case, many point their fingers at the shrimp trawler that operates off the coast, a trawler that doesn't want to stop fishing when the candlefish pass through.’
So named because the Chinook Indians formerly burnt the oily bodies of these fish as candles.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.