One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A program that searches for and deletes specified mailings from Internet newsgroups.
- ‘We do not make any warranty that the Site or its servers are free from viruses, worms, cancelbots, ‘Trojan Horses’ or anything else that has contaminating or destructive properties.’
- ‘Cancelbots are powerful and easy to misconfigure, and a misconfigured cancelbot can cause havoc.’
- ‘Operators of cancelbots take pride in the absolute mechanical nature of the cancellations.’
- ‘You may not use any of the services or systems to knowingly or recklessly transmit computer viruses, worms, Trojan horses, cancelbots, or other destructive programming code.’
- ‘Thus, cancelbots which were meant to be a technical solution to net abuse threaten to become a plague.’
1990s: from cancel + bot.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.