Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The European creeping or field thistle, which has become naturalized as a serious weed in North America.
- ‘A search is under way for viral-infected Canada thistle plants in the areas where they were once reported - Denmark, England, and North Dakota.’
- ‘Smartweed often grows in potassium-poor soil, while Canada thistle suggests low magnesium levels.’
- ‘As agriculture expanded onto the prairies, wild oats and sow thistle, leafy spurge and Canada thistle migrated westward.’
- ‘Perennials such as Canada thistle, hoary vervain, ironweed, goldenrod, and curly dock generally respond better to fall applications when the plant energy reserves are translocated down to the roots.’
- ‘Occasionally, broadleaf weeds, such as Canada thistle or ragweed, become established in winter wheat fields and interfere with grain harvest or with the following soybean crop.’
- ‘The larvae of the painted lady butterfly - the thistle caterpillar - have been drawing a large amount of attention from anyone who has observed Canada thistle patches this spring.’
- ‘Herbaceous perennials, such as quackgrass, mugwort, and Canada thistle, die back to the ground each year.’
- ‘Fields with quackgrass, Canada thistle, and other cool-season perennial weeds will almost always require the use of glyphosate around the time of planting.’
- ‘Avoid tilling overly aggressive or invasive plants that produce root-buds, such as crabgrass, johnsongrass, bindweed or Canada thistle.’
- ‘Tillage with a chisel plow, disk, or field cultivator may actually help spread perennials with creeping root systems, such as Canada thistle and hemp dogbane.’
- ‘The weeds that appear above the wheat canopy late in the season, such as ragweeds and Canada thistle, can often be easily controlled with a spring herbicide treatment.’
- ‘Under growth-chamber conditions, mite populations on a Canada thistle plant can reach very high levels, causing severe damage to the plant.’
- ‘Perennial grasses such as bluegrass and quackgrass and broadleaves such as Canada thistle, bindweed, and curly dock also could be addressed with the weed control program.’
- ‘In particular, perennial broadleafs and grasses such as dandelion, curly dock, Canada thistle, and quackgrass are much easier to manage prior to planting a forage crop.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.