Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A technique for measuring or mapping the field of vision of the eye.
- ‘Incorporating focal noise-field campimetry as a testing strategy for the proposed invention provides an extremely efficient method to determine significant visual field loss.’
- ‘Conventional perimetry and even campimetry provides information pertaining to the borderline between seeing and non-seeing areas.’
- ‘With Damato campimetry we can measure the central visual field and the inner edge of the ring scotoma when it starts to develop.’
- ‘Methods for measuring the visual field are perimetry, campimetry or noise field campimetry.’
- ‘Until a few decades ago, campimetry was the standard of care but now is out of fashion.’
Early 20th century: from Latin campus ‘field’ (see camp) + -metry.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.