One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An East Asian tree of the laurel family, the chief natural source of camphor.
- ‘In protest, the society built tree houses in the two camphor trees to prevent them from being transplanted.’
- ‘Within the grounds of the hotel there are many huge trees, among them 44 camphor trees that are more than 300 years old.’
- ‘Dad encourages Satsuki and Mei to show their respect for the great camphor tree and the spirits it holds.’
- ‘While the Arboretum contains trees from all over the world, including date palms, camphor trees from Japan, Mexican Cyprus, wellingtonia from California.’
- ‘The most striking objects at the site, however, are the nine boat-shaped caskets, each carved from a single trunk of a camphor tree.’
- ‘Of course, while the town has prospered, the local camphor tree population has dwindled.’
- ‘Forestry workers in east China's Jiangxi province have found an extremely large camphor tree, believed to be over 2,000 years old.’
- ‘A tall and flourishing camphor tree of 500 years old is believed to bless the village.’
- ‘We have two large camphor trees on our property.’
- ‘You can see a camphor tree believed to be over 1,400 years old in the middle of the wall and have a cup of tea in a stall on the mountain.’
- ‘The zhangshu, or camphor tree, was a highly valued cash crop in Fujian throughout the republican period.’
- ‘The area, covering 40,000 square metres, will have about 1,500 trees of various kinds including camphor trees, magnolia and pointed zelkova.’
- ‘The previous factory used to boast a road lined with camphor trees, whose crowns shaded the whole road.’
- ‘The wood for the sculptures came from juniper and camphor trees which were uprooted during typhoons last year and sent drifting on the ocean near Hualien and Taitung.’
- ‘The yard is surrounded by luxuriantly green camphor trees, which isolates it from the noise on bustling nearby Huaihai Zhonglu.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.