Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who works in an organized and active way towards a goal:‘human rights campaigners are furious at the government's decision’
crusader, fighter, battlerchampion, advocate, promoter, enthusiastactivist, demonstrator, reformerView synonyms
- ‘He was a lawyer and a trade union activist, a campaigner for human rights and democracy.’
- ‘Her convictions all seem to stem from her activities as a peace campaigner.’
- ‘Now the couple are leading campaigners in the battle to increase awareness.’
- ‘Now the campaigners will have to gear themselves up for a further battle when the developers appeal.’
- ‘Against that, he is a seasoned campaigner who has fought some tough electoral battles in the past.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.