One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Decorative glass consisting of layers of different colours, the outermost being cut away to leave a design in relief.‘the Portland Vase is the most exquisite surviving example of cameo glass’
- ‘Made possible by the David Berg Foundation, the exhibition briefly treats related mediums such as cameo glass, explains the differences between cameos and intaglios, and addresses the faking of cameos.’
- ‘The use of cameo glass is rare, but not unique in Tiffany's mosaic work.’
- ‘In the latter, Emile Galle studied and imitated Islamic and other historical models before embarking on an independent course, producing sculptural and coloristic effects in cameo glass that translated a personal vision.’
- ‘Demand for the more expensive English cameo glass produced in the Stourbridge glassworks has been static for years.’
- ‘The Portland Vase, a Roman cameo glass vase dating from the 1st century BC, was smashed by a drunken visitor to the British Museum.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.