One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two spiny leguminous shrubs occurring in arid country.
Alhagi camelorum (of the Middle East) and Acacia giraffae (of southern Africa), family Leguminosae
- ‘One afternoon, I spotted a starving old lioness lying in the sparse shade of a camel thorn tree near the water hole.’
- ‘Well-established camel thorn trees are of the most drought resistant trees we have.’
- ‘The lodge covers an area of approximately 15 hectares of local ‘bushveld’ and centuries-old camel thorn trees.’
- ‘The beautiful, slow-growing camel thorn grows well in poor soils and in harsh environmental conditions.’
- ‘A cape cobra thrusts its yellow head out of a nest in a camel thorn tree, its jaws clenched around two screaming chicks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.