One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A migratory butterfly with deep purple yellow-bordered wings.
Nymphalis antiopa, subfamily Nymphalinae, family NymphalidaeNorth American term mourning cloak
- ‘There were a few orange-tips, small tortoiseshells, peacocks and Camberwell beauties.’
- ‘The trip will include a visit to the famous dry grasslands of Kielheim, excellent for spotting butterflies such as Camberwell beauties, field crickets, and green lizards.’
- ‘There are plenty of birds too including shrikes, stonechats and larks, and butterflies including swallowtails, and in the woodland glades, Camberwell beauties.’
- ‘Thus it came to be known as the Camberwell beauty.’
- ‘These wanderings explain the occurrence of Camberwell beauties in Britain, with the highest numbers arriving in 1846, 1872, 1947, 1976 and 1995.’
- ‘The small number of Camberwell beauties was perhaps a different matter and they would have come from Scandinavia.’
Mid 19th century: named after Camberwell in London, then a village, where the first specimens were captured.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.