One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to heat; calorific.‘a caloric value of 7 calories per gram’
- ‘Regular activity helps maintain a healthy body weight by balancing caloric intake with energy expenditure.’
- ‘Despite the publication of these results, the caloric theory of heat persisted.’
- ‘A test called a caloric test is done by putting warm and cold water into the each ear in turn.’
- ‘Lifestyle changes consist of numerous types of behavioral modification, including decreasing caloric intake and increasing calories spent.’
- ‘All-natural peanut butter is a favorite with bodybuilders because it boosts energy and meets caloric requirements.’
- ‘During the past 20 years, Americans have increased their daily caloric intake by 150 to 299 calories per day.’
- ‘Know, also, the caloric value of the protein you eat.’
- ‘They were left to rest for one hour in the same room and had free access to a standard assortment of food of known caloric values.’
- ‘A common impulse among those who are overweight is to go on a diet in an attempt to reduce caloric intake to the level of caloric use.’
- ‘Learn about the caloric value of food, and cut down on calories.’
- ‘At that time, it became already evident that coal is unsuitable for this purpose, due to its too low caloric value and too high sulphur content.’
- ‘Write down everything you eat and find a caloric value for it in a dollar mini-book you can buy at the supermarket checkout counter.’
- ‘When there is an imbalance between caloric intake and energy expenditure, the excess is stored as fat.’
- ‘It is important to maintain caloric intake that matches caloric cost in order to avoid rapid weight loss.’
- ‘Due to the low caloric intake and high energy output, my body shut down and would not respond to anything - hours of cardio, weight training, track work.’
- ‘1hour exercise every morning, low low caloric intake, and if I feel stressed I go to the gym and take it out on the machines there.’
- ‘As single base powders, they also exhibit a lower caloric value as compared to spherical propellants.’
- ‘Allow your body to adapt to this new caloric level for seven to 10 days before bumping up calories a second time.’
- ‘A bowl of healthy soup gives you the biggest value for your caloric buck and keeps you from overeating during your main course.’
- ‘You can lose about 1 pound every two months by achieving a caloric deficit of only 60-100 calories a day.’
A hypothetical fluid substance formerly thought to be responsible for the phenomena of heat.
- ‘When oxygen reacted with metals to form calxes, caloric was released, and in consequence the oxygen became dense and heavy.’
- ‘The basic misconception was that caloric was a conserved substance, that is it could ‘neither be created nor destroyed’.’
- ‘One response of scientists was to reinterpret caloric as a quality of substance - the average kinetic energy of its constituent particles - rather than as a substance itself.’
- ‘For such a philosopher, mathematical objects would go the way of witches and caloric, and mathematics itself would go the way of alchemy - discarded as intellectual refuse.’
- ‘Among them were theories which assumed that heat was a material substance, called caloric.’
Late 18th century (as a noun): from French calorique, from Latin calor ‘heat’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.