One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a drug) having a sedative effect.
sleep-inducing, somnolent, sedative, calmative, tranquillizing, narcotic, opiate, drowsy, sleepy, somniferousView synonyms
- ‘They commissioned a study of the possible military uses of calmative pharmaceuticals such as anesthetics and serotonin reuptake inhibitors.’
- ‘For example, in order to understand the pharmacokinetic effects of a calmative agent, information is needed on how the drug has access to the brain.’
- ‘Extra nervous patients are given a calmative drug before the surgery but I was not offered one.’
- ‘It has developed a range of weapons capable of delivering calmative chemicals, including specialized bullets, landmines and a mortar round.’
- ‘During labor it is useful to overcome the great restlessness, fear and excitement experienced by nervous women, and by its calmative power rectifies jerky and ineffectual contractions.’
A calmative drug.
- ‘For some reason - possibly because so many powerful calmatives are now available - the allegations of insanity do not seem to have prompted any talk of lawyers and apologies and setting the record straight.’
- ‘Documents reveal that two years ago they commissioned scientists to look at potential military uses for a range of chemicals known as calmatives.’
- ‘Capable of taking out enemy soldiers without killing them, calmatives were once seen as ideal from a public relations standpoint.’
- ‘It is also useful in the therapy of acute pulmonary edema, both for its hemodynamic actions and as a calmative.’
- ‘It is perfectly proper to draw attention to the threat of the pharmaceutical giants and of calmative drugs being used on social misfits.’
- ‘Herbalists know basil is one of nature's most effective calmatives, yet it's often overlooked because it's such a commonly used kitchen spice.’
- ‘The careful grooming of hair of the face is the most potent calmative that could ever be prescribed for dyspeptic morale.’
- ‘This is just what is depicted in the various scenarios envisioned by military planners laying out appropriate uses for calmatives.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.