One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deep-bodied edible gold and green freshwater fish found in Australia.Also called golden perch
- ‘Fishery assessment reports for callop, mullet and mulloway will be finalised in 2003.’
- ‘In the absence of written documentation, these farmers may be unable to demonstrate that they have inherited the right to farm a given number of callops.’
- ‘The average length for callop found in the River Murray is in the order of 33cm to 40cm.’
- ‘A Renmark man has been fined over $2,000 for catching more than three times the daily limit of callop.’
- ‘Usually taken from the bank of the river or in a drifting boat, callop can also be taken by slowly trolling an artificial lure close to the bottom at speeds not exceeding 2 knots.’
1920s: perhaps from an Aboriginal language of southern Australia.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.