Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘The door calling bell and your telephone will always ring only when you are in the bathroom.’
- ‘Why didn't the scientist install a calling bell in his house?’
- ‘This circuit automatically deactivates your calling bell for a minute after it has already rung once by a visitor to give you adequate time to respond to it.’
- ‘Youngsters also displayed science models like a calling bell, an alarm and a simple thermometer.’
- ‘Firstly, he disconnected the calling bell.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.