One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two plants of the arum family.
- ‘She handed me my bouquet of calla lilies, freesias, and irises.’
- ‘Don't overlook summer-blooming callas, dahlias and cannas.’
- ‘The bride wore an ivory silk empire line dress with lace and pearl detail, chiffon train and pearl tiara, and carried a bouquet of cream roses and calla lilies with green foliage.’
- ‘Start begonias, caladiums, callas, cannas, and dahlias in pots indoors on a sunny windowsill.’
- ‘Flowers adorn nearly every grave - leggy calla lilies and leafy hydrangea and big bundles of plump tulips.’
- ‘Some choices include azalea, calla, hydrangea, miniature rose, moth orchid, Oriental lily, tulip, and ‘Wonder Bells Blue’ double campanula.’
- ‘These stones - featuring detailed, bas-relief sculptures of irises, tulips, and calla lilies - are cast of concrete in manufactured molds.’
- ‘December and January are great months to buy calla lilies.’
- ‘She prefers beautiful lilies, callas and orchids.’
- ‘She carried a hand tied bouquet of calla lilies.’
- ‘After frost kills their foliage, dig up callas, cannas, dahlias, tuberous begonias, and other tender bulbs.’
- ‘Eventually they found their specialty after tireless experimenting - flowers ranging from black-eyed Susans to the elegant oriental lilies and callas.’
- ‘The company began selling roses, calla lilies and other flowers online two years ago.’
- ‘Adair used five stems each of red roses, pink hyacinths, pink callas, red anemones, plus 15 small red tulips.’
- ‘The bunch of white calla lilies she had bought lay on the seat beside her, tied with white ribbon.’
- ‘Some lovely choices for wedding flowers include azalea, calla, hydrangea, moth orchid, Oriental lily, rhododendron, and rose.’
- ‘In the big planters, I put dahlias and calla lilies.’
- ‘By the way, I think a few long stalks of calla lilies or tulips tied with a satin ribbon is so much more beautiful than a bouquet of coloured-tissue-wrapped flowers.’
- ‘The easygoing summer bulbs - callas, dahlias, gladiolus, and lilies (Asiatic and Oriental hybrids) - come back in garden beds or containers year after year.’
- ‘Spring callas need moderately acid soil, generous amounts of moisture with good drainage and a resting period.’
Early 19th century: modern Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.