Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Either of two plants of the arum family.
- ‘Spring callas need moderately acid soil, generous amounts of moisture with good drainage and a resting period.’
- ‘In the big planters, I put dahlias and calla lilies.’
- ‘The easygoing summer bulbs - callas, dahlias, gladiolus, and lilies (Asiatic and Oriental hybrids) - come back in garden beds or containers year after year.’
- ‘Flowers adorn nearly every grave - leggy calla lilies and leafy hydrangea and big bundles of plump tulips.’
- ‘The bunch of white calla lilies she had bought lay on the seat beside her, tied with white ribbon.’
- ‘Eventually they found their specialty after tireless experimenting - flowers ranging from black-eyed Susans to the elegant oriental lilies and callas.’
- ‘Some lovely choices for wedding flowers include azalea, calla, hydrangea, moth orchid, Oriental lily, rhododendron, and rose.’
- ‘These stones - featuring detailed, bas-relief sculptures of irises, tulips, and calla lilies - are cast of concrete in manufactured molds.’
- ‘December and January are great months to buy calla lilies.’
- ‘Don't overlook summer-blooming callas, dahlias and cannas.’
- ‘She handed me my bouquet of calla lilies, freesias, and irises.’
- ‘She prefers beautiful lilies, callas and orchids.’
- ‘She carried a hand tied bouquet of calla lilies.’
- ‘The company began selling roses, calla lilies and other flowers online two years ago.’
- ‘Some choices include azalea, calla, hydrangea, miniature rose, moth orchid, Oriental lily, tulip, and ‘Wonder Bells Blue’ double campanula.’
- ‘The bride wore an ivory silk empire line dress with lace and pearl detail, chiffon train and pearl tiara, and carried a bouquet of cream roses and calla lilies with green foliage.’
- ‘By the way, I think a few long stalks of calla lilies or tulips tied with a satin ribbon is so much more beautiful than a bouquet of coloured-tissue-wrapped flowers.’
- ‘Adair used five stems each of red roses, pink hyacinths, pink callas, red anemones, plus 15 small red tulips.’
- ‘After frost kills their foliage, dig up callas, cannas, dahlias, tuberous begonias, and other tender bulbs.’
- ‘Start begonias, caladiums, callas, cannas, and dahlias in pots indoors on a sunny windowsill.’
Early 19th century: modern Latin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.