Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The characteristic call of a particular bird.‘the usual call note is a sharp ‘tchick ’’
- ‘Where one species overlaps in territory with another having a similar call note, the frequency of the first species' song is adjusted upward by about 0.3 kilohertz.’
- ‘One means of distinguishing the willow tit from the marsh tit is by call notes.’
- ‘Black-chinned hummingbirds produce a variety of call notes, typically used while chasing other birds.’
- ‘A parent feeds only its own chick, recognizing the chick by its call note.’
- ‘Structural characters and call notes remain the most diagnostic traits.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.