Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The characteristic call of a particular bird.‘the usual call note is a sharp ‘tchick ’’
- ‘Structural characters and call notes remain the most diagnostic traits.’
- ‘Black-chinned hummingbirds produce a variety of call notes, typically used while chasing other birds.’
- ‘One means of distinguishing the willow tit from the marsh tit is by call notes.’
- ‘Where one species overlaps in territory with another having a similar call note, the frequency of the first species' song is adjusted upward by about 0.3 kilohertz.’
- ‘A parent feeds only its own chick, recognizing the chick by its call note.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.