One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A radio or television programme during which the listeners or viewers telephone the studio and participate; a phone-in.
- ‘Within hours of a musician's death, favorite and even some dug-up singles hit the airwaves, radio call-in shows lurch into overdrive, and Web site traffic increases.’
- ‘Allowing guests to speak freely was radical enough, but then he introduced viewer call-ins.’
- ‘I edit a call-in programme for BBC Radio Leeds which today will be looking at whether its ever right to lie.’
- ‘This was articulated very clearly on call-in radio programmes after the local elections.’
- ‘I was on a radio call-in show on Sunday morning, and I had a lot of people call me a traitor.’
- ‘However, in this case, we heard all the talk shows and radio call-ins attacking Amber simply because she had a makeover.’
- ‘Valda, despite her lack of talent, has her own radio call-in show in Australia, plus a newspaper column.’
- ‘Letter writers and listeners to radio call-in shows have expressed their concerns through the media.’
- ‘Washington Post Metro columnist Marc Fisher has begun doing a weekly, unscripted audio call-in show each Tuesday at noon.’
- ‘NPR is having an open call-in for veterans right now, in honour of Veteran's Day (Armistice Day, in other countries).’
- ‘There's another call-in program featuring an immigration lawyer, and numerous segments offering health information on AIDS, immunizations, and how to get access to U.S. services.’
- ‘Combining live interview, call-in and commentary, Randi engages her audience with a passionate presentation.’
- ‘One elderly radio listener phoned a call-in program to assert that she had read, somewhere, that Lincoln was black.’
- ‘Call for Help, a daily live call-in show, is one example of such programming, encouraging viewers to ask for computer technical help.’
- ‘Radio and television talk shows - especially those ubiquitous local radio call-in programs - often do something on the topic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.