One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Whereas Aaron fashions a golden calf-like idol, saying he must appeal to the visual in order for the masses to understand, which he expresses quite brilliantly in song.’
- ‘All you have to do is look at the account executive sitting across your desk (the fellow with the lugubrious face and the calf-like eyes), and say ‘Yes!’’
- ‘This Afro-Caribbean poem for a Euromodernist traverses cultural, racial, and gender boundaries via intersections of place names - Sligo, Sligoville; mythical heroes - Ireland's Cuchulain, Jamaica's ex-slave rebels; and premodern magic - Yeats's mysticism, Jamaica's skin-shedding witches and neck-chained, calf-like ghosts.’
- ‘Her calf-like deference to this tyrant was distasteful to me.’
- ‘It's a mission which looks dangerously like seduction as she hangs around gazing calf-like at the older man, who reacts with a panicky cold sweat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.