One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for kalian
tobacco pipe, briar, briar pipe, meerschaum, clay pipeView synonyms
- ‘After the long and tedious ceremony of coffee and caleans, breakfast made its appearance on two large trays.’
- ‘Were it not for his calean, I am at a loss to imagine how he could possibly spend his time.’
- ‘After the usual salutations and inquiries, the calean was introduced.’
- ‘The entertainment began as usual, with caleans, coffee, sweetmeats, and what the Persians call sweet-tea.’
- ‘The spectators pay the equal to three-pence English, for which they are refreshed with a calean to smoke, and coffee.’
Mid 18th century: Persian ġilyān, qalyān, from Arabic ġalayān ‘bubbling up, boiling’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.