Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Acting in a scheming and ruthlessly determined way.‘he was a coolly calculating, ruthless man’
cunning, crafty, wily, shrewd, scheming, devious, designing, conniving, manipulative, machiavellian, artful, guileful, slippery, slick, sly, disingenuous, unscrupulousfoxyslimsubtleView synonyms
- ‘This is not the undertaking of a benevolent nation helping another in the spirit of friendship and trust, but a cold calculating act designed to crush the human spirit and bring about the death of hope.’
- ‘It was decidedly hard to do with Mr Cunningham's cold, judging, calculating eyes were staring at us.’
- ‘Whatever the reason, his public persona seems guarded and calculating and his repeated protestations of humility usually fall flat.’
- ‘They're cunning, they're devious, they're calculating.’
- ‘Mrs Cunningham gave me a calculating look over my sketchpad that was filled with spite and dislike.’
- ‘Both of these ladies bided their time and proved to be quite calculating and ruthless.’
- ‘Clearly the robots take the long-term view on this one, as they would, what with being utilitarian calculating machines designed for the preservation of life.’
- ‘Mr Latham said it suggested ‘a devious and calculating mind well able to think about what he needed to do to distract attention away from himself’.’
- ‘I was quite struck by the image used for that tour, because it does not seem an accident, it seems very well designed in a calculating fashion.’
- ‘Indeed, I am concerned that without such a change the whole bill looks more cynical and calculating than the Minister probably intends.’
- ‘The movie presents her not just as ambitious talent; we also see the shrewdly calculating side that propelled her into the spotlight.’
- ‘It is difficult to judge a man as calculating when he seems so natural.’
- ‘When viewers meet her, Claire is a determined, rather calculating career woman, an ambitious lawyer working for the Prosecution Service.’
- ‘There's something very calculating and manipulative about how he does things.’
- ‘Underneath the mane of blonde hair was a ruthless calculating brain.’
- ‘Strydom was at his shrewd and most calculating best.’
- ‘Likewise, the promotion of the controversy by national manufacturers' associations has been calculating and disingenuous.’
- ‘At one extreme, imagine genetically engineered minds devoid of conscience or empathy and at the same time highly calculating and ruthless in the pursuit of their own desires.’
- ‘He paused for a moment, with a spreading calculating smile designed to draw the others in.’
- ‘So our military has to be very shrewd, very calculating and I think that they are laying out those plans.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.