One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound of a type that reduces the influx of calcium into the cells of cardiac and smooth muscle, reducing the strength of contractions. Drugs of this kind are used to treat angina and high blood pressure.
- ‘Combining a thiazide or calcium antagonist with either an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor or a blocker helps preserve neurohormonal balance.’
- ‘Hypertensive patients with coronary artery disease had similar outcomes regardless of whether they took a blocker or a calcium antagonist for primary control of their blood pressure.’
- ‘Pimozide is a potent calcium antagonist and may be more appropriate for treating delirium that is accompanied by hypercalcaemia.’
- ‘For several years the treatment of angina has been based on combinations of nitrates, beta blockers, and calcium antagonists.’
- ‘The most commonly prescribed antihypertensive medications were diuretics, followed by beta blockers, angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors, calcium antagonists, and alpha blockers.’
- ‘High blood pressure medications your doctor may prescribe are diuretics, beta blockers, calcium antagonists and alpha blockers.’
- ‘A diuretic and a dihydropyridine calcium antagonist are the only classes of drugs that have been tested as initial treatment in placebo controlled trials on isolated systolic hypertension.’
- ‘In a small, uncontrolled trial, butcher's broom significantly improved symptoms in patients with edema secondary to calcium antagonist treatment (nifedipine and nicardipine) for hypertension.’
- ‘Anti-ischaemic drugs include intravenous, oral, or buccal nitroglycerin, blockers, and calcium antagonists.’
- ‘The addition of an ACE inhibitor to therapy with a dihydropyridine calcium antagonist significantly reduces the incidence of peripheral edema and reflex tachycardia.’
- ‘Although calcium antagonists exert much of their antihypertensive effect through a vasodilatory action, they also have diuretic and natriuretic properties.’
- ‘Although treatment with calcium antagonists in these trials was intended for neuroprotection, blood pressure was lower in the treatment group in several trials.’
- ‘Although nitrates and calcium antagonists reduce vasoconstriction, the effects of medical treatment on structural vascular changes are limited, even with statins.’
- ‘Hypertension control through beta-blockers and, to a lesser degree, the calcium antagonists diltiazem and verapamil, reduces the heart rate response to sub-maximal exercise.’
- ‘Magnesium sulfate is a calcium antagonist that induces smooth muscle relaxation.’
- ‘Clinical trials of potential neuroprotective agents such as glutamate and calcium antagonists have not so far shown efficacy.’
- ‘Recent epidemiological reports have raised widespread concern in the medical community about a possible link between calcium antagonist use and the development of cancer as a result of modulating cellular apoptosis.’
- ‘Patients allocated to a calcium antagonist strategy were given verapamil sustained-release, while patients allocated to a noncalcium antagonist strategy were given atenolol.’
- ‘Calcium antagonists are another newer type of blood pressure lowering drug.’
- ‘He was taking an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor, a calcium antagonist, and a blocker for hypertension.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.