One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One of the D vitamins, a sterol which is formed when its isomer ergosterol is exposed to ultraviolet light, and which is routinely added to dairy products.Also called ergocalciferol, "vitamin D2"
- ‘Vitamin D is also referred to as calciferol and can rightly be called the sunshine vitamin, since the body, in a sunny climate can manufacture this nutrient from sunshine on your skin using cholesterol from your body to do so.’
- ‘The physiotherapist delivered vitamin D tablets (two 1.25 mg calciferol tablets initially and then one monthly for one year) to those not already taking this supplement.’
- ‘Vitamin D, also called calciferol, is a vitamin that dissolves in the body's fat.’
- ‘Although called a vitamin, calciferol and its products fully qualify as hormones because they are made in certain cells, carried in the blood, affect gene transcription in target cells.’
- ‘Although several chemical compounds provide vitamin D activity, only two of these substances are commonly found in the diet of animals: vitamin D 2, or calciferol, and vitamin D 3.’
- ‘Here's what you need to know about vitamin D (calciferol) - how much you need, what it does for your body, good food sources, cautions and side effects.’
1930s: from calciferous + -ol.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.