One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
Finely ground flour made from soft wheat suitable for making cakes.
- ‘On a parchment-lined sheet pan, sift together the almond flour, cake flour, and sugar.’
- ‘The WWII recipe permits more than two cups of cake flour, a generous amount during wartime.’
- ‘At Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen in Healdsburg, California, Chef Mateo Granados shows us a tin of something that resembles a fine flour - is it almond or cake flour?’
- ‘Combine cake flour, cornstarch, baking powder and enough water to make batter the consistency of light cream.’
- ‘A wheatberry is a wheat kernel from which the outer hull has been removed, and the soft wheatberry is just one variety of wheat, the kind from which pastry and cake flour is made.’
- ‘She began the familiar rituals: Preheat oven, melt chocolate, measure cake flour, sugar, baking soda, salt.’
- ‘Thicken sauce with paste of cake flour and a little water.’
- ‘Mix cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and add to the milk mixture.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, corn syrups, eggs and vanilla seeds from one bean; whisk until smooth.’
- ‘If the recipe calls for cake flour use cake flour, not all-purpose flour.’
- ‘I'm no pastry chef, but I tweaked and tasted, from all-purpose to cake flour, buttermilk to sour cream, baking powder to soda, recipe to recipe.’
- ‘Unfortified whole wheat bread and bread baked from cake flour will still be available.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine almond flour, sugar, cake flour and tea powder.’
- ‘In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining milk, egg yolks, cake flour, and cornstarch until smooth.’
- ‘When I read about baking breads and cakes there is often a differentiation between flours needed, that is: cake flour for cakes, pastries and quick breads, and bread flour for breads.’
- ‘Wheat is the lifeblood of western Canada, which produces up to 25m tonnes a year - or nearly 20% of the world's supply of bread, pasta and cake flour.’
- ‘Add the semolina flour and cake flour in stages, scraping down the sides of the bowl between each addition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.