Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for plain flour
- ‘If the recipe calls for cake flour use cake flour, not all-purpose flour.’
- ‘Wheat is the lifeblood of western Canada, which produces up to 25m tonnes a year - or nearly 20% of the world's supply of bread, pasta and cake flour.’
- ‘When I read about baking breads and cakes there is often a differentiation between flours needed, that is: cake flour for cakes, pastries and quick breads, and bread flour for breads.’
- ‘Combine cake flour, cornstarch, baking powder and enough water to make batter the consistency of light cream.’
- ‘Add the semolina flour and cake flour in stages, scraping down the sides of the bowl between each addition.’
- ‘Thicken sauce with paste of cake flour and a little water.’
- ‘Unfortified whole wheat bread and bread baked from cake flour will still be available.’
- ‘The WWII recipe permits more than two cups of cake flour, a generous amount during wartime.’
- ‘She began the familiar rituals: Preheat oven, melt chocolate, measure cake flour, sugar, baking soda, salt.’
- ‘At Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen in Healdsburg, California, Chef Mateo Granados shows us a tin of something that resembles a fine flour - is it almond or cake flour?’
- ‘A wheatberry is a wheat kernel from which the outer hull has been removed, and the soft wheatberry is just one variety of wheat, the kind from which pastry and cake flour is made.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, corn syrups, eggs and vanilla seeds from one bean; whisk until smooth.’
- ‘In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining milk, egg yolks, cake flour, and cornstarch until smooth.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine almond flour, sugar, cake flour and tea powder.’
- ‘On a parchment-lined sheet pan, sift together the almond flour, cake flour, and sugar.’
- ‘Mix cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and add to the milk mixture.’
- ‘I'm no pastry chef, but I tweaked and tasted, from all-purpose to cake flour, buttermilk to sour cream, baking powder to soda, recipe to recipe.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.