One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounmass nounNorth American
Finely ground flour made from soft wheat suitable for making cakes.
- ‘In a bowl, combine cake flour, sugar, corn syrups, eggs and vanilla seeds from one bean; whisk until smooth.’
- ‘Mix cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and add to the milk mixture.’
- ‘A wheatberry is a wheat kernel from which the outer hull has been removed, and the soft wheatberry is just one variety of wheat, the kind from which pastry and cake flour is made.’
- ‘At Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen in Healdsburg, California, Chef Mateo Granados shows us a tin of something that resembles a fine flour - is it almond or cake flour?’
- ‘Thicken sauce with paste of cake flour and a little water.’
- ‘Unfortified whole wheat bread and bread baked from cake flour will still be available.’
- ‘She began the familiar rituals: Preheat oven, melt chocolate, measure cake flour, sugar, baking soda, salt.’
- ‘I'm no pastry chef, but I tweaked and tasted, from all-purpose to cake flour, buttermilk to sour cream, baking powder to soda, recipe to recipe.’
- ‘The WWII recipe permits more than two cups of cake flour, a generous amount during wartime.’
- ‘When I read about baking breads and cakes there is often a differentiation between flours needed, that is: cake flour for cakes, pastries and quick breads, and bread flour for breads.’
- ‘Combine cake flour, cornstarch, baking powder and enough water to make batter the consistency of light cream.’
- ‘If the recipe calls for cake flour use cake flour, not all-purpose flour.’
- ‘In a bowl, combine almond flour, sugar, cake flour and tea powder.’
- ‘In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining milk, egg yolks, cake flour, and cornstarch until smooth.’
- ‘Add the semolina flour and cake flour in stages, scraping down the sides of the bowl between each addition.’
- ‘On a parchment-lined sheet pan, sift together the almond flour, cake flour, and sugar.’
- ‘Wheat is the lifeblood of western Canada, which produces up to 25m tonnes a year - or nearly 20% of the world's supply of bread, pasta and cake flour.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.