Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to Cadmus.
- ‘In any event Cadmean Thebes identified itself with the religious capital of old Thebes in Egypt.’
- ‘Ben Franklin started the Cadmean Chautauqua and Lyceum Association and later became the president of the Associated Chautauqua of America.’
- ‘The Akkadians were able to adapt Sumerian cuneiform and the Greeks were able to adapt Cadmean letters because the vestigial iconic aspects of these writing systems were overlooked or ignored.’
- ‘The circular and isolated hill upon which the present town stands will recall to his mind the ancient features of the Cadmean citadel.’
- ‘The Celtic Druids, or, An attempt to shew that the Druids were the priests of oriental colonies who emigrated from India, and were the introducers of the first or Cadmean system of letters, and the builders of Stonehenge, of Carnac, and of other cyclopean works in Asia and Europe’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.