Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A succulent plant with a thick fleshy stem which typically bears spines, lacks leaves, and has brilliantly coloured flowers. Cacti are native to arid regions of the New World and are cultivated elsewhere, especially as pot plants.
- ‘Second, the cactus and acacia trees may have dissimilar distributions of branch length.’
- ‘Aloe vera resembles a cactus, but is actually a perennial succulent which belongs to the lily family.’
- ‘We are rich with saguaros, prickly pear, and cholla cacti, and paloverde, and mesquite trees.’
- ‘The northeast is much more barren - there are more cactuses than palm trees in this semidesert.’
- ‘They resembled a cross between a cactus and an aloe vera plant; thick and fleshy, with hairs extruding from their tendrils.’
- ‘Prickly pear cacti and large agave succulents, introduced from Mexico, grow everywhere in the north of the island.’
- ‘It looked somehow like the surface of a cactus, the peyote cactus.’
- ‘The man-made structures are concealed by imaginative landscaping that includes coconut palms, hibiscus, cactuses, hammocks, bougainvillea, gardens and lawns opening to beach and sea.’
- ‘However, thorns on cactuses are a different thing.’
- ‘The boyfriend bought a big cactus yesterday to add in with the banana plants etc.’
- ‘Tall palm trees and thick forests of cactuses give travellers the impression that they are staying in a tropical region.’
- ‘He finally got his cactus home, planted it in his backyard, and over time it grew to about two metres.’
- ‘It has several gnarled trees, cactuses, oleanders, a crazy arrangement of pot plants, various graveside paraphernalia such as urns and framed photographs, and a rickety set of narrow pathways.’
- ‘It searches among the yucca cactuses and Joshua trees for a lonely radar station atop a mountain peak.’
- ‘Good weather is also an essential pre-requisite for the growth of cacti and succulent plants.’
- ‘It has been isolated from soils in desert areas, grassland or cultivated soils, cacti, onion, and garlic bulbs.’
- ‘Scaling and barking injuries occur on stem surfaces of saguaro cacti.’
- ‘Remember, for starters, that all cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti.’
- ‘Orchid, African violet and cactus are just a few of the special mixes available.’
- ‘Like the cactuses it resembles, an aloe plant requires little care and grows quickly.’
Early 17th century (in the sense ‘cardoon’): from Latin, from Greek kaktos cardoon.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.