One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Involving or producing a harsh, discordant mixture of sounds.‘the cacophonous sound of slot machines’
loud, noisy, ear-splitting, blaring, booming, thunderous, deafeningView synonyms
- ‘Together, her many voices create for the reader a symphony, discordant thought not cacophonous, of her being.’
- ‘But the distortion is kept to a minimum as they reach for different tools to hit dizzying new heights, creating cacophonous peaks only to expertly let the moments implode into stark, hypnotic introspection.’
- ‘Our past has become the cacophonous cathedral of the American conversation, while our once-ranging future has shrunk into a snug and warm place, as cozy and shag carpeted as a suburban den.’
- ‘Energy, however, unless properly channeled, formally controlled and orchestrated, can end up as pandemonium - a lot of senseless rushing around and a merciless, cacophonous din.’
- ‘He twists and turns in his efforts to get away from the cacophonous dissonance, and then untwists himself to get out of his sheets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.