One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Whether or not you're a logomaniac (one obsessed with words), this esoteric collection of English words should prove entertaining; it even might make you cachinnate (laugh loudly) as you turn the pages.’
- ‘I chuckled, guffawed, chortled and cachinnated my way through the book.’
- ‘So he's releasing a bevy of albums of late, and I shan't cachinnate nor chortle at this dispatch.’
- ‘He squealed to no end while she cachinnated maniacally at the tribulation of the poor helpless doctor.’
- ‘To say something does not exist simply on the grounds that you can not ‘see’ it is enough to make anyone cachinnate.’
Early 19th century: from Latin cachinnat- ‘laughed loudly’, from the verb cachinnare, of imitative origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.