One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
postpositive Prepared in a spicy tomato sauce with mushrooms and herbs.‘chicken cacciatore’
- ‘‘Cacciatore’ translates into ‘hunter’, meaning that when a dish is served cacciatore, it's served in the ‘Hunters style’.’
- ‘There were dinner rolls and chicken cacciatore, baked ziti, and potato salad, peas and corn, and coleslaw.’
- ‘I really don't do much, but I do make chicken cacciatore.’
- ‘The food is edible but unremarkable, usually a meal that could be found in just about any basic cookbook: chicken cacciatore, beef teriyaki, veal parmigiana, pasta trio, roast beef or stuffed cabbage.’
- ‘It's a chicken stew that can stand on its own alongside other stewed chicken dishes, coq au vin and chicken cacciatore.’
- ‘I remember the first time that I decided I was going to cook dinner for a guy, and it was my High School sweetheart, and I was 16, so I decided to cook his favourite dish, which was chicken cacciatore.’
- ‘There's a different menu for each evening, the recipes for which could be found in any basic cookbook: leg of lamb, chicken cacciatore, pasta trio, roast beef, or stuffed cabbage.’
- ‘I'm working on my job, and I'm cooking because I'm hungry and I would anyway - you don't eat enough to make this chicken cacciatore just for you - and I watch Liza because I want to.’
- ‘In step 5, arrange polenta rounds on plates and top with chicken cacciatore.’
- ‘The main courses on the table d' hôte usually include two or three pastas, and a handful of meat dishes like chicken, veal, sole provençale, or Italian sausages in a cacciatore sauce.’
- ‘If you want, add some of your favourite spices to the flour, which will give your chicken cacciatore some extra flavour.’
- ‘Actually, my chicken cacciatore would make you cry.’
- ‘For the main course I went for chicken cacciatora - a tender breast of chicken topped with a tangy tomato, onion and mushroom sauce.’
Italian, literally ‘hunter’ (because of the use of ingredients that a hunter might have to hand).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.