One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A combination of knitted stitches resembling twisted rope.
- ‘Each cable strand is made up of eight cable stitches and then one tuck rib that's latched up by hand.’
- ‘Rows of cable stitches are combined with seed stitch panels to create lots of surface texture and design interest.’
- ‘I wanted to start playing with the cable stitches, so I found some leftover yarn and started making swatches.’
- ‘A whole space baby-wave is worked the same except thread is carried one whole space between cable stitches.’
- ‘There are many beautiful effects that you can create simply by using combinations of cable stitches and wave or trellis stitches.’
- ‘For wider cables I might want a cable needle, although one could simply rearrange all the cable stitches on the needle before knitting them.’
- ‘Getting the cable stitch down is tricky at first because you have to alternate your stitches with floss up and floss down.’
- ‘Essentially, it shows how to strategically drop the first half of the cable stitches and pick them up after they have been crossed with the other half of the cable stitches.’
- ‘If the cable stitches are held in the back of the work, it creates a cable cross to the right.’
- ‘The entire cable pattern with the purl stitch border is 8 stitches, but only the actual cable stitches need to be together on the same needle.’
- ‘Get ready for cable acrobatics by pinching the base of the cable stitches with your left thumb and forefinger.’
- ‘I have an old Shetland wool cardigan jacket, knitted in a massive cable stitch, that I tend to wear on chilly evenings.’
- ‘To keep track of cable stitches in a pattern, write down the frequency of the cable rows in columns on a piece of paper.’
- ‘You can also alternative the amount of cable stitches such as 3-1-3, this makes a point which could be used as the tops of hearts.’
- ‘If your knitted fabric was infinitely large, any cluster of cable stitches would be balanced out in the long run by clusters of knit stitches.’
- ‘The cable stitch is usually worked in #8 thread.’
- ‘I only put the cable stitches on the cable needle on the row that I am twisting the cable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.