Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A railway along which carriages are drawn by a continuous cable.
- ‘The terminus is located in the centre of town, in Piazza Oberdan, and the cable railway section begins just a few hundred meters away.’
- ‘Get off at the valley terminal of the Schauinsland cable railway and ride up with the cable railway to the Schauinsland summit station.’
- ‘On reaching Bettmeralp, the cable railway takes you along the glacier to Bettmerhorn.’
- ‘Over 500 million passengers ascend the mountains by Austrian cable railways every year.’
- ‘The climb from the bay to the Fira can be made by foot for those who want to try their strength, climbing 600 steps of the road, or with cable railroad.’
- ‘Three cable railways make it accessible to reach the mountain farms on 1,000 m above sea level all year round.’
- ‘It's the biggest cable railway in the Alps.’
- ‘We will be glad to help you in ensuring the tickets on the mountain cable railways, cableways and other interesting attractions.’
- ‘The London and Blackwell Railway had the first cable railroad in 1840.’
- ‘They are in this archive shown all on this page no matter if they are technically cable railroads or freely moving cog wheeler trains.’
- ‘In a cable railway, the cars were moved by an endless cable traveling in a small tunnel under the roadway, and kept in motion by a stationary engine.’
- ‘The cable railway will be enacted on Tahtali Mountain at an altitude of 2365 meters.’
- ‘The Peak Tramway is one of the steepest cable railroads in the world.’
- ‘Extensive maintaining comes twice a year (autumn, spring), when cable railway is not open to public.’
- ‘You may use ‘cable car’ as the facility of cable railway, but - you're right - it's actually the gondola.’
- ‘There are also cable railways and Elbe steamers available.’
- ‘Like many other things in this country, cable railways were a European import, most likely from the Swiss Alps.’
- ‘From the mountain station of the Untersberg cable railway the ski drivers still go some hundred meters, before the long lane begins to Fürstenbrunn.’
- ‘Analysis methods of hazards to cable railways from avalanches and snow pressure are described, as well as planning and dimensioning measures.’
- ‘As is apparent from FIG.1, the illustrated cable railroad comprises two cars, movable on rails and connected by a traction cable trained around a reversing pulley near the top station.’
- ‘Board the longest and highest cable railway in the world for a climb up 15, 630-foot-tall Pico Espejo, an ascent of about an hour.’
- ‘This is the main risk of inclined cable railways, so the break of the cable is controlled by an emergency break on the cabins.’
- ‘Even for the not-so-fit walker there are lifts or cable railways ready to whisk you up quickly and comfortably to altitudes with views aplenty.’
- ‘The Katoomba Scenic Railway is the sole surviving cable railway in the Blue Mountains.’
- ‘As we travel by train, cable railways, steam train, and boat, we will experience the uniqueness of four different languages and cultures of the great alpine crossroads.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.