Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a number of palm-like trees that resemble a cabbage in some way, in particular.
- ‘I've gone for architectural nikaus and a cabbage tree.’
- ‘The walk there and back took us through some beautiful bush with huge silver ferns, beach trees, pungas, pohutakawa, cabbage trees and palms.’
- ‘Your roof is patched with rust, tastes bitter as we roll into the plastic gutter and swirl there where the drain's blocked with leaves and a seedling cabbage tree.’
- ‘Settlers walking through the area planted cabbage trees to mark the track.’
- ‘The false cabbage tree is a tall, straight tree.’
- ‘When cabbage trees erupt, pohutukawa blaze and the first blowfly of summer sings its siren song, count us out.’
- ‘It is Christmas day and everyone is singing carols under the cabbage tree.’
- ‘Give some reasons why this is an appropriate technique for depicting a cabbage tree.’
- ‘The 151-hectare resort is very Australian, but not in some laboured ‘throw-another-shrimp’ sense, but in its spaciousness, its bush aromas, the stands of cabbage tree palms, and the alternating silences and ocean sighs.’
- ‘He tips the dwarf cabbage tree as a winner because of its exceptional colour, low-growing habit, and flowing flax-like foliage.’
- ‘Zoo staff and school children will help plant baobabs and false cabbage trees, the two chosen trees of the year.’
- ‘Similar ovens were constructed by the Maori in New Zealand but, although they were called umu ti, the plant baked was a different species, the New Zealand cabbage tree, Cordyline australis.’
- ‘The kopi were taken there from the mainland, probably by the Moriori who also introduced the cabbage tree.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.