Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lettuce of a variety which has broad, rounded leaves forming a globular head close to the ground.
- ‘The crisp head or cabbage lettuces are the most popular lettuces in American supermarkets and restaurants.’
- ‘The plants close to form compact heads, in a similar way to cabbage lettuces.’
- ‘Ordinary round or cabbage lettuces are the best ones to use.’
- ‘Of this there are two varieties, the ordinary cabbage lettuce and the cos, so named from the Island of Cos in the Aegean Sea, which is also known as the upright, or smooth-leaved lettuce.’
- ‘The quality is distinct from that of the Cabbage Lettuces and by many is considered superior.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.