One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lettuce of a variety which has broad, rounded leaves forming a globular head close to the ground.
- ‘The plants close to form compact heads, in a similar way to cabbage lettuces.’
- ‘The quality is distinct from that of the Cabbage Lettuces and by many is considered superior.’
- ‘Of this there are two varieties, the ordinary cabbage lettuce and the cos, so named from the Island of Cos in the Aegean Sea, which is also known as the upright, or smooth-leaved lettuce.’
- ‘Ordinary round or cabbage lettuces are the best ones to use.’
- ‘The crisp head or cabbage lettuces are the most popular lettuces in American supermarkets and restaurants.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.