One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Brazil) vegetation in semi-arid country consisting of thorny shrubs and stunted trees.as modifier ‘caatinga forest’
- ‘Long a hide-out for bandits, rebels and visionaries, the caatinga also earns a reputation as a mystical badlands.’
- ‘Other discrete vegetation types associated with the caatinga are distinctive palm stands.’
- ‘Because these forest enclaves are more fertile than the surrounding caatinga scrub, humans prefer to live in them.’
- ‘The caatinga also harbors a long history of social unrest.’
- ‘The objective of this paper is to derive biomass estimation models for ten of the most important caatinga species.’
Via Portuguese from Tupi, from caá ‘natural vegetation’ + tinga ‘white’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.