One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A group of binary digits or bits (usually eight) operated on as a unit.
- ‘Subsequent error-free testing, with the packet set to eight bytes, confirmed that the documentation had been misleading.’
- ‘Storage is measured in bytes, one byte containing eight bits, and representing storage for one character in European alphabets.’
- ‘Eight bits make up a byte; a byte typically represents a letter, punctuation mark or digit on your screen.’
- ‘The store is misaligned across two cache lines such that the upper eight bytes span a cache line boundary.’
- ‘I now know there are eight bits in a byte, and 1024 megabytes in a gigabyte.’
- 1.1 A byte considered as a unit of memory size.
- ‘This means you could write up to 36 bytes to that memory block without overwriting other blocks.’
- ‘A tiny worm, just 376 bytes in size, almost brought the Internet to its knees this weekend as it spewed out huge packets of random data.’
- ‘Networks were configured for message traffic with packet sizes of 512 bytes.’
- ‘Ram memory is measured in millions of bytes (megabytes).’
- ‘These figures are based upon an average check image size of 40,000 bytes and standard list prices for equipment.’
1960s: an arbitrary formation based on bit and bite.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.