One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A nickname, especially one given to distinguish a person from others with the same given name.‘surnames started off as bynames to distinguish two persons in the same locality’
title, denomination, honorific, labelView synonyms
- ‘The table below contains all of the 116 distinct bynames found in the poll tax data, together with etymological notes on as many of them as I can identify.’
- ‘The Resurrection Man - to use a byname of the period - was not to be deterred by any of the sanctities of customary piety.’
- ‘He fled from Rome, hid out with a kinsman of the nobleman from whom he took his famous byname, then went to Naples and Malta, and on, ever on, from there as news of his crime caught up with him.’
- ‘The byname Martel is attested from the 9th century.’
- ‘His byname is Greek for ‘silver.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.