One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Very rapidly.‘matters grew worse by the minute’
- ‘There were bright lights around the entrance and the queue was growing longer by the minute.’
- ‘The feeling grew stronger by the minute yet, each time, when he looked back, the road was deserted.’
- ‘Evening was closing in, the air grew crisper by the minute, and the wind quieted to a whisper.’
- ‘The tempo of the game dropped as a result and Shelbourne grew more comfortable by the minute.’
- ‘Better, but I still had dark circles under my eyes, and my hair was looking worse by the minute.’
- ‘The consistency with which Celtic confound expectation grows more remarkable by the minute.’
- ‘Already, the group of men that had surrounded them was growing smaller and smaller by the minute.’
- ‘The chances of getting back will grow dimmer by the minute.’
- ‘The snooping was forgotten as she started to skip around the room and grow more excited by the minute.’
- ‘Both girls laughed over this, but Margaret's face seemed to grow paler by the minute.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.