One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a regular manner according to a particular set of rules.‘stress is not predictable by rule and must be learned word by word’
- ‘This base map will develop into a heritage master plan, which will be preserved by rule.’
- ‘Life is like music, it must be composed by ear, feeling, instinct, not by rule.’
- ‘The interval lasted about ten minutes longer than the quarter-hour allowed by rule, courtesy of a late return to the field by Kerry.’
- ‘Edwards came from the back of the pack, where by rule he had been sent following a pre-race engine change, and outdueled veteran Ted Musgrave for the win.’
- ‘Also, remember that, by rule, a wild card can't play a team from its division in the first round.’
- ‘The Director of Transportation, by rule, may provide for issuance of a valid license without a photograph if the applicant shows good cause.’
- ‘Athena in Colaba is among the few clubs which by rule do not allow those under 21.’
- ‘Is the phenomenon confined to the diocesan or secular clergy or has it also touched the regulars, men who live by rule and vow?’
- ‘Anything constructed by rule will probably have too much order in it.’
- ‘Even better, it gives a way to help memorize them, by allowing one to work out the answer by rule if one cannot remember it by rote.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.