One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a regular manner according to a particular set of rules.‘stress is not predictable by rule and must be learned word by word’
- ‘Even better, it gives a way to help memorize them, by allowing one to work out the answer by rule if one cannot remember it by rote.’
- ‘Also, remember that, by rule, a wild card can't play a team from its division in the first round.’
- ‘This base map will develop into a heritage master plan, which will be preserved by rule.’
- ‘Edwards came from the back of the pack, where by rule he had been sent following a pre-race engine change, and outdueled veteran Ted Musgrave for the win.’
- ‘Athena in Colaba is among the few clubs which by rule do not allow those under 21.’
- ‘The interval lasted about ten minutes longer than the quarter-hour allowed by rule, courtesy of a late return to the field by Kerry.’
- ‘Anything constructed by rule will probably have too much order in it.’
- ‘Is the phenomenon confined to the diocesan or secular clergy or has it also touched the regulars, men who live by rule and vow?’
- ‘Life is like music, it must be composed by ear, feeling, instinct, not by rule.’
- ‘The Director of Transportation, by rule, may provide for issuance of a valid license without a photograph if the applicant shows good cause.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.