One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
With the help of; by using.‘supplying water to cities by means of aqueducts’
using, utilizing, employing, through, with the help of, with the aid of, as a result of, by dint of, by way of, by virtue of, viaView synonyms
- ‘The farmhouse is connected at right angles to the restaurant by means of a large utility room which then leads on to a full catering kitchen.’
- ‘Man had learned to irrigate the land by means of canals and ditches, and had mastered the arts of agriculture.’
- ‘He cautiously went inside by means of a small side door.’
- ‘Withdrawal of cash is further effected by means of encoded plastic cards utilized at computer terminals.’
- ‘As planned, I left the town by means of the Jeep just at the crack of dawn.’
- ‘At their tops, these vertical elements were joined to horizontal ones by means of brass couplings.’
- ‘Organizations exist by means of and as a result of these interactions.’
- ‘The wall and roof glazing is suspended under the external steel structure by means of point fixings.’
- ‘He sought to depict the inner reality of objects by means of meticulous physical observations.’
- ‘The places of ascent or descent are reached by means of stairways.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.